Sunday, September 18, 2011

Changing Education Paradigms

I am wholeheartedly thrilled that I decided to watch RSA's Animate video on Changing Educational Paradigms.
The status quo in America right now, in my experience, is to "blame the teacher". I recently read an article in the LA times that discussed this, and I completely agree. The article is called "What Teachers Really Want to Tell Parents"
The idea that problems with reading is the Elementary school or English teacher's fault is just like saying that childhood obesity is the Phys. Ed teacher's fault. But-- stop right there-- what was that? They can't control diet and exercise? Well, I can't control the diet (reading of books) or exercise (reading several times a week for pleasure) of English, either. I agree that the problem is we are trying to meet the future by using the past. For example, the whole educational system was ultimately conceived at a different time. As our world evolves, our education needs to evolve. These things are, as with most pieces of the puzzle, easier said than done.

I really agree with the idea that powerful learning happens in groups. One of the key skills for 21st century students is collaboration. How(and when) are they supposed to learn to effectively collaborate if not at school? I am a big fan of literature circles, where students read an article (or entire book) as individuals and then discuss the book in specific roles-- such as quote finder, connector (making connections), word wizard (vocabulary), discussion director (leader) and beyond. This allows each to "expert" in one area, which a common bond or article that holds the discussion together like glue.

There is much to think about as our information society changes minute by minute. Who knows what tools will pup into our world next week, next month, next year? I hope to stat flexible and ready to use whatever can benefit my students in a meaningful way.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the distribution of roles for a literature circle. It sounds as if each role has real significance.

    ReplyDelete